- Prep Time: 1 hrs
- Total Time: 1 hrs 50 mins
- Yield: 8-10 quarts
About This Recipe
“My Mennonite mother’s ‘famous’ tomato soup – hard to beat! Perfect anytime of the year! Enjoy! Here’s what I purchased (for you to use as a baseline reference): – to yield 75 quarts of soup – 3 bushels of tomatoes, 6 lbs. butter, 5 lbs. sugar, 3 bunches celery, 5 lbs. flour. Hope that helps! (RECIPE BELOW IS FOR 8-10 QUARTS) (I make lots, and then frequently give this as a gift for a new mother, a hostess gift (when invited to dinner), a get-well meal, etc..) Super quick – easy to make, and can easily add garlic bread and a salad and dessert for a quick meal to bless someone. ENJOY!”
- 6 onions, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 8 quarts fresh tomatoes ( or 5-6 quarts of juice)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- Chop onion& celery.
- Place in large kettle w/ just enough water to keep them from burning.
- While this simmers, cut tomatoes (remove stems if not using strainer).
- Add to kettle& cook until tender.
- Place this all through Victorio strainer (or similar).
- Return to kettle.
- Add sugar& salt.
- Cream butter and flour together& mix thoroughly with two cups of COLD juice, until dissolved (or blend together in a blender), to avoid lumps of flour in the juice.
- Add butter/flour mixture to warmed tomato juice. (Add before it’s hot, to avoid lumps of flour!).
- Stir well.
- Heat just until hot. (If it gets to a boil, it can make the flour lumpy).
- Just prior to boiling, turn off the burner. (It will continue to thicken as it cools.).
- Ladle into jars& close securely with lids.
- Return to canner & process 20-30 minutes (start timing when it’s at a ‘rolling’ boil).
- Remove from canner & allow to set until sealed (approx. 12 hours) To serve, mix equal parts tomato concentrate to milk, and add 1/2 t. of baking soda per pint as it cooks (1 t. per quart).
- Homemade Tomato Soup (gardensandgarlic.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (Homecanning) (msskinnybitch.wordpress.com)
- Tomato Soup, Homemade Tomato Soup, Tomato Soup Recipes | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup (culinaryspirits.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini in Tomato Sauce (Canning) (msskinnybitch.wordpress.com)
- Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup (dreaminbutter.wordpress.com)
- Osso Bucco with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Capers (Served With Cauliflower Puree) (thisissogood.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Tomato Soup For Lunch That’s What It Is (lilsuburbanhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Two new Recipes – Soup and Chickpea patties (myveggienation.wordpress.com)
- Crock Pot Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes (arealfoodlover.wordpress.com)