- Prep Time: 1 hrs
- Total Time: 1 hrs
- Serves: 32, Yield: 8 pints
About This Recipe
“This recipe is really good as a side dish and wonderful over pasta. It’s an adaptation of a recipe a Zaar member sent me in response to my request. I was looking for a recipe duplicating the commercially made zucchini in tomato sauce. You MUST use a pressure cooker/canner. I have a little 4 quart pressure cooker that only holds 4 pints at a time. This recipe makes 8, so I make all the sauce, add half the zucchini, process it and then proceed with the other half of the zucchini. If I used all the zucchini at once, it would be mush by the time the first batch came out of the canner.”
- Wash zucchini. Do not peel. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Weigh and set aside.
- Combine tomato puree, onion, green pepper and spices. Bring to a boil. Hint: Use a deep pot to contain some of the splatter. Stir often and take care it doesn’t scorch.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the zucchini. Stir often and bring again to a boil.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon salt into each pint jar.
- Use a slotted spoon to pack zucchini chunks into hot, sterilized jars.
- Run a non-metal spatula around the inside of the jar to remove any air pockets.
- Press the zucchini down firmly. Add tomato sauce to fill jar, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe jar rims and threads. Add hot lids and rings. Screw down to finger tight.
- Place jars in canner on rack with 1-1/2 inches of boiling water.
- Cover, leave vent open. Heat and allow steam to vent for 10 minutes.
- Close vent, bring to pressure. Process pints at 10 lbs. for 25 minutes, quarts at 10 lbs. for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow pressure to reduce naturally.
- Check seals and label. Refrigerate any jars that haven’t sealed and use within a few days.
- McKenzie Makes: Zucchini & Tomato Gnocchi Saute! (mmmguide.com)
- Italians Love Stuffing Vegetables (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Veggie & Feta Stuffed Zucchini (nutritionbyte.wordpress.com)
- Ratatouille – the original french recipe (groupon.co.uk)
- Feta and Vegetable Stuffed Zucchini (makingitwithdanielle.com)
- Mock Pineapple (msskinnybitch.wordpress.com)
- Fusilli Pasta With Roasted Tomatoes and “Hidden” Zucchini (megara1101.wordpress.com)
- Zucchini Bruschetta Boats – Food (brit.co)
- Crock Pot Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes (arealfoodlover.wordpress.com)
- Vegetable of the week: Zucchini (plantstrongliving.com)