- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hrs 20 mins
- Yield: 6-7 quarts
About This Recipe
- 36 -40 ripe tomatoes ( skins removed and quartered)
- 4 -5 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1/2 green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 red peppers, chopped
- 5 medium onions, chopped ( If you have a food processor, use it to chop the celery, pepper, onions)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaves
- 8 -10 whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 lb butter
- 1/4 cup salt, to taste
BROWN SUGAR PASTE
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- Put all of the ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook until the celery is soft, about 15 minutes; then add the butter sauce and brown sugar paste.
- Mix the sugar and flour together in a bowl. Add enough of the hot soup to make a paste, then stir this into the hot soup and bring to a boil until soup thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- If the soup is thicker than you prefer, add a little water. Adding the red pepper flakes makes the soup zingier. If too sweet, add a little more salt.
- Pour soup into quart jars and can in a pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- Yield: 6-7 quarts, depending on size of tomatoes.
- Cabbage Soup Recipes (answers.com)
- Navy Bean & Bacon Soup (Canning) (msskinnybitch.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup (culinaryspirits.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce (Homecanning) (msskinnybitch.wordpress.com)
- Tomato, Basil, and Cheddar Soup (morefruitplease.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Tomato Soup For Lunch That’s What It Is (lilsuburbanhomestead.wordpress.com)
- Three Cookbooks I Cherish! (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Lentil Soup (jewbroadcooks.wordpress.com)
- Creamy Tomato & Mascarpone Soup (ilovesoup.net)
- Snapper Soup…Kinda of (thepineconegentleman.com)