- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Serves: 64, Yield: 8 half pints
About This Recipe
“This is a recipe I have used and modified time after time and a good one to start out the new year. Especially good on pork and fish. This makes 6 to 8 half pints, depending on the size of your bananas & lemons. You might want to try with cooked rice or rolled crepes with whipped cream. I have always been able to obtain lemons and bananas any time of the year.”
- In large dutchoven pan,add sugar and 3 1/2 cups water, cloves and ginger.
- Cook on low heat and stir occasionally.
- Note: You can use small pieces of ginger root but it must be removed before packing jars.
- Remove rind (lemon zest) with peeler or a zester and add very small pieces or strips to the cooking sugar, water and spice mixture.
- Use all of the rind on one lemon.
- Add to the pan.
- Juice all of the lemons and add the juice and if desired add chopped lemon pulp.
- DO NOT USE THE WHITE PORTION WHICH HOLD THE PULP. IT IS VERY BITTER.
- Mash the bananas.
- The mixture should have been simmering about 10 minutes. Stir so the mixture does not scorch and burn.
- Add 1 cup water. Stir.
- Take out the cloves and ginger pieces if not.
- the pureed ginger.
- Add the mashed bananas.
- Add yellow food coloring.
- Stir.Cook about 6 minutes on low heat. The preserves should be the consistency of thick applesauce. If it is too thin, add another mashed banana.
- Wash 8 half pint jars,with hot soapy water, rinse and place in 9 X 13 pan with water, set in 275* oven to heat and sterilize. Turn the washed jars upside down so that the hot water in the pan is around the rims and up the sides a little. Heat seals and rings in water in a saucepan on the stove.
- Pack in jars. Make sure you wipe the rim of the jars after packing. Place hot seal on jar and then ring. Tighten.
- Make sure the water is boiling before placing in the water bath.
- Water bath for 10 minutes.
- Note: If you are at high altitude above 4,000 feet, add another 10 minutes to the water bath boiling time.